Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Barcelona :)


I live near the tall cathedral in the back, La Sagrada Familia.


Fifteen years ago my biggest feat was finishing the first grade after being forced onto the bus dragging along my baby doll, as I was the only little girl allowed to bring one to class. And, let us not forget my unwillingness to even attempt to buy the school lunch. My future looked grim.

Who would have thought I could travel across the ocean, by myself, to live in a foreign country. Not me. I left my house the fateful morning of January 10, 2010 and felt as though I was being stuffed on a big, yellow bus once again, never to return. The only thing missing was the song "Rat in a Cage" on the way to the airport with my dad. It was so scary, to say the least :)

The flight went well but the first day was rough. I would have rather smelled ground beef cooking all day than be in Barcelona during the first day. It was that bad :)

When I woke up the first morning after a lack of sleep for what seemed like five days, I had no idea where I was. Talk about a strange feeling. The next day was much better though, except for the grossest salad I've ever eaten >> Imagine endives (whatever the heck those are), with walnuts, carrots, and cheese sauce. YUCK. No me gusta.

I moved into my home-stay on the second day and its really great. I would compare it to Mrs. Charleston, my school bus mentor :) I have interwebs, and lets be honest, I think I could survive in a small shack as long as I have internet. The apartment is a lot nicer than a shack though, so thats an added bonus of sorts. I live with a senora and her five-year-old daughter, who I just met and is currently scared of me. With my six-foot stature, deep voice, and bulging muscles, I can understand why. Sidenote: its strange to hear children speak in spanish, I imagine all children speaking English, and dogs too.

Today I took the metro, twice, by myself. Everyone knows my slight tendency to get lost, so this is an accomplishment large enough to last a few weeks.

Until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment